Paul Payne is an experienced geologist with a strong technical background and high level corporate experience both in Australia and internationally. Currently Paul is involved as a non-executive director on several junior exploration companies active in Australia. In addition, he continues to operate a long-running consulting business specialising in the evaluation of mining projects.
Previous corporate roles have included Managing Director and Technical Director roles in ASX listed companies. The Managing Director role involved running the IPO for a listing and $20 million capital raising and the subsequent corporate and exploration management of the company. The Technical Director role involved the technical guidance and exploration management of gold projects in Tanzania. Both roles included technical management as well as responsibility for marketing and promotion, presentations at major industry conferences, all aspects of investor relations activities, ASX reporting and corporate and technical compliance.
Paul’s strong technical background was gained in the exploration, evaluation and mining of gold and base metal projects in Australia and internationally. After many years of experience in the mining and exploration groups of Plutonic Resources, Normandy-NFM and Dominion Mining, Paul established a consultancy Resource Evaluations Pty Ltd (“ ResEval”) specialising in project evaluation and project assessment. After building the business to a mid-sized, well regarded consultancy, in 2007 Paul accepted an offer from ASX listed Runge Limited (now RPM Global) to purchase the business. From 2008 to 2011 Paul managed the Mining Consulting part of the RPM business in Perth.
Paul’s main area of expertise lies in the assessment and evaluation of early stage projects from due diligence reviews to resource estimation and evaluation. His consulting experience is largely focussed on the provision of advice and assistance to a range of junior to mid-sized exploration and mining companies. This provided exposure to a large range of commodities with a very broad global coverage and combined with recent corporate roles has provided Paul with a strong business network throughout Australia and internationally.
Successful listing of Dacian Gold Limited and exploration success at Mt Morgans:
- Founding employee with total responsibility for establishing the business;
- Managed the IPO to raise $20 million in November 2012;
- Recruited exploration and administration personnel and managed exploration leading to discovery of two high grade deposits and increasing resource inventory to 1.2M ounces.
Exploration success at BrightStar Resources Limited:
- As Technical Director, negotiated the joint venture on the Miyabi gold project and managed exploration leading to the discovery of a high grade gold prospect
- Managed the government relations relating to access, community support and illegal mining issues.
Establishment and management of a highly successful resource consultancy:
- Established ResEval in 1998 and built a well-qualified team of geologists and engineers until acquisition by ASX listed Runge in 2007;
- Provided advice and technical services to many junior to mid-tier explorers and producers;
- Involved with many projects from discovery or acquisition through development and into production.
Built an extensive business network throughout Australia and internationally
- Corporate network with investors, stock brokers and analysts throughout Australia
- Developed international business network in mining companies through client relationships;
- Extensive resource estimation and project evaluation work throughout the FSU, Scandinavia, Africa, China and Central and South America.
Developed extensive commodity and project experience:
- Estimation and project evaluation experience in a wide range of commodities including gold, base metals, nickel sulphide and laterite, bauxite, iron ore, fluorite
- Completed Mineral Resource estimate and CP signoff for the 6.8 million ounce Hemi gold deposit for De Grey Resources Limited;
- Mineral Resource estimate and CP signoff for the high grade Penny West deposit for Spectrum Metals (subsequently acquired by Ramelius Resources Limited);
- Mineral Resource estimate and CP signoff for the high grade Break of Day deposit for Musgrave Minerals Limited;
- Mineral Resource estimate and CP signoff for advanced lithium projects – Savannah Resources Limited’s Mina do Barroso project in Portugal and Keliber Oy’s Keliber project in Finland.
Paul Payne, Principal
Payne Geological Services Pty Ltd.